HARRY FISCH MD FACS
Harry Fisch Dr. Harry Fisch is a board certified urologist at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Medical College of Cornell University. He is one of the nation's leaders in the diagnosis and treatment of Men's health issues as well as sexuality and fertility problems in couples. Internationally renowned, he has pioneered microsurgical techniques for disorders associated with male infertility such as vasectomy reversal and varicocele repair. He has been named to the “Best Doctors in America" and "New York Magazine Top Doctor" the past 9 years. He regularly appears on the Dr. Oz show as a medical expert on Men's Health.
For over fifteen years, Dr. Fisch has focused his research, practice, and surgery on male infertility and reproduction. His recent article describes a new microsurgical technique for varicocelectomy. In his private practice in Manhattan, Dr. Fisch has successfully treated thousands of men with sexuality and fertility problems. Dr. Fisch's research on sperm counts and endocrine disrupters has resulted in multiple research articles and international attention. His work has been frequently cited in a variety of publications, including USA Today, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. He has appeared on television's 60 Minutes, 20/20, CNN and Today, among many others.
944 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
State University of New York at Binghamton, Binghamton, NY
Attended 8/1976 - 5/1979
Degree awarded 1979
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
Attended 8/1979 - 5/1983
Degree awarded 1983
|1983 - 84||Intern (Surgery)||Albert Einstein College of Medicine/ Montefiore Medical Center||Bronx, NY|
|1984 - 85||Resident (Surgery)||Albert Einstein College of Medicine/ Montefiore Medical Center||Bronx, NY|
|1985 - 88||Resident (Urology)||Albert Einstein College of Medicine/ Montefiore Medical Center||Bronx, NY|
|1988 - 89||Chief Resident (Urology)||Albert Einstein College of Medicine/ Montefiore Medical Center||Bronx, NY|
|1989||Clinical Infertility||Baylor College of Medicine||Houston, TX|
|1989 – 1991||Assistant Professor of Urology and Obstetrics/ Gynecology||Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY|
|1992 – 1995||Visiting Assistant Professor of Urology||Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY|
|1992 – 1999||Visiting Assistant Professor of Obstetrics/ Gynecology||Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY|
|12/91 – 6/99||Assistant Professor of Urology||Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY|
|7/99 – 12/03||Associate Clinical Professor of Urology||Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY|
|1/04 – 06/09||Professor of Clinical Urology||Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY|
|12/08 – Present||Adjunct Professor of Urology||Medical University of South Carolina|
|07/09 – 12/09||Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology and Reproductive Medicine (Interim)||Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University|
|current||Clinical Professor of Urology and Reproductive Medicine||Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University|
|1989 – 1995||Assistant Attending||Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx Municipal Hospital Center|
|1989 – 1999||Director of Male Infertility, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Department of Obstetrics/ Gynecology||Montefiore Medical Center|
|12/91 - 06/09||Assistant Attending||Columbia University Medical Center/ New York Presbyterian Hospital|
|12/91 – 11/07||Director of Male Infertility, The Male Reproductive Center, Department of Urology||Columbia University Medical Center/ New York Presbyterian Hospital|
|07/07 – Present||Member of Staff, Department of Urology||Lenox Hill Hospital|
|12/08-Present||Member of Staff, Department of Urology||Medical University of South Carolina|
|07/09 - current||Attending Urologist||Cornell University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital|
|Full Name of Board||Certificate #||Date (MM/DD/YY)|
|American Board of Urology||10003||02/28/99|
|Member/officer||Name of Organization||Dates held|
|Member||American Medical Association|
|Member||American College of Surgeons|
|Member||American Urologic Association|
|Member||American Society for Reproductive Medicine|
|Member||New York Academy of Sciences|
|Member||Society for the Study of Reproduction|
|Member||Society for the Study of Male Reproduction|
|Member||American Association of Clinical Urologists|
|Member||New York Section - American Urologic Association|
|Member||New York State Urologic Society|
|Member||New York County Medical Society|
|Date awarded||Name of award|
|2000 - 2009||New York Magazine Top Doctors – Published by New York Magazine.|
|2001 - 2010||America’s Top Doctors – Published by Castle Connelly Medical Ltd.|
|2002||Teacher of the Year – Department of Urology, Columbia University.|
|1988||American College of Surgeons - Bronx Chapter (1st prize - Research)|
|1987||F.C. Valentine Residents’ Research Award (1st prize - Clinical)|
|1986||American College of Surgeons - Bronx Chapter (1st prize - Research)|
|1986||F.C. Valentine Residents’ Research Award (3rd prize - Clinical)|
- Primary Hospital Affiliation—New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Other Hospital Affiliations---Lenox Hill Hospital
- Other Institutional Affiliations ---Medical University of South Carolina
|1991 – 2007||Resident Selection Committee, Department of Urology||Columbia University P & S|
|1997 – 2007||Moderator, BiWeekly Clinical Clerkship Final Exams||Columbia University P & S|
|2001 – 2007||Faculty Council of College of Physicians and Surgeons||Columbia University P & S|
|7/01 – 6/02||Course Co-Director, Urology Clinical Clerkship, Third Year Medical Students||Columbia University P & S|
|7/02 – 6/03||LCME Committee||Columbia University P & S|
|7/02 – 6/07||Course Director, Urology Clinical Clerkship, Third Year Medical Students||Columbia University P & S|
|7/01 – 6/07||Urology Preceptor, Physical Diagnosis Course, Second Year Medical Students||Columbia University P & S|
|7/02 – 6/07||Director of Medical Student Education, Department of Urology||Columbia University P & S|
Journal Reviewer - Journal of Urology, Fertility and Sterility, Urology, Reproductive BioMedicine Online
- R Pfefferman, A Sakai, H Kashiwabara, H Fisch, M Taha, H Goldson, S Kountz. The Prevention and Correction of Hypocalcemia in the Parathyroidectomized Rat by Portacaval Shunt. Surgery 1977, 82:266.
- H Fisch, E Laor, R Reid, B Tolia, S Freed. Gonadal Dysfunction After Testicular Torsion - LH and FSH Response to Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone. Journal of Urology 1988, 139:61.
- H Fisch, E Laor, N BarChama, S Witkin, B Tolia, R Reid. Detection of Testicular Endocrine Abnormalities and Their Correlation to Serum Antisperm Antibodies in Men Following Vasectomy. Journal of Urology 1989, 141:1129.
- R Naz, J Deutch, T Phillips, A Menge, H Fisch. Sperm Autoantibodies in Vasectomized Men and Their Effects on Fertilization. Biology of Reproduction 1989, 41:163 - 173.
- E Laor, H Fisch, S Tennenbaum, B Tolia, R Reid, A Mostoffi. Unilateral Testicular Torsion: Abnormal Histological Findings in the Contralateral Testis. Cause or Effect? British Journal of Urology 1990, 65:520-523.
- H Fisch, E Laor, LI Lipshultz. The Simplified GnRH Stimulation Test. Urology 1990, 36:260-263.
- H Fisch, LI Lipschultz. Advanced Sperm Function Testing. Current Opinions in Surgery 1991, 1:156-159.
- H Fisch, LI Lipshultz. Diagnosing Male Factors of Infertility. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 1992, 116:398-405.
- H Fisch, N BarChama, W Skinner, R Naz. Variation in Antisperm Antibody Response Following Surgical Transection of the Male Genital Tract in the Lewis Rat. Archives of Andrology 1993, 30: 193-199.
- N BarChama, H Fisch. Infection and Pyospermia in Male Infertility. World Journal of Urology 1993, 11: 76-81.
- ET Goluboff, DT Chang, AJ Kirsch, H Fisch. Incidence of External Spermatic Veins in Patients Undergoing Inguinal Varicocelectomy. Urology 1994, 44 (6): 893-896.
- ET Goluboff, SA Kaplan, H Fisch. Seminal vesicle urinary reflux as a complication of transurethral resection of ejaculatory ducts. Journal of Urology 1995, 153: 1234-1235.
- ET Goluboff, M Stifelman, H Fisch. Ejaculatory duct obstruction in the infertile male. Urology 1995, 45: 925-931.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff. Geographic variations in sperm counts: A potential cause of bias in studies of semen quality. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 65(5): 1044-1046.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff, JH Olson, J Feldshuh, S Broder, DH Barad. Semen analysis in 1283 men from the United States over a 25 year period: No decline in quality. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 65(5): 1009-1014.
- S Lindheim, DH Barad, M Zinger, B Witt, H Amin, B Cohen, H Fisch, P. Barg. Abnormal Sperm Morphology is Highly Predictive of Pregnancy Outcome During Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation and Intrauterine Insemination. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 1996, 13(7): 569-572.
- EK Seaman, E Goluboff, N BarChama, H Fisch. Accuracy of semen counting chambers as determined by the use of latex beads. Fertility and Sterility 1996, 66(4): 662:665.
- H Fisch, E Ikeguchi, ET Goluboff. Worldwide variations in sperm counts. Urology 1996, 48:909-911.
- H Fisch, H Andrews, J Hendricks, ET Goluboff, JH Olson, CA Olsson. The relationship of sperm counts to birth rates: A population based study from 1971 to 1994. Journal of Urology 1997, 157: 840-843.
- E Emanuel, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. MacLeod revisited: Sperm count distribution in 374 fertile men from 1971 – 1994. Urology 1998, 51(1): 86-88.
- AM Estop, S Munne, KM Cieply, K Vandermark, H Fisch. Meiotic products of a Klinefelter 47XXY male as determined by sperm FISH analysis. Human Reproduction 1998, 13(1): 122-127.
- J Saidi, DT Chang, ET Goluboff, G Olsen, H Fisch. Declining U.S. sperm counts: A critical review. Journal of Urology 1999, 161(2):460-462.
- JM McKiernan, ET Goluboff, GL Liberson, RJ Golden, H Fisch. Rising risk of testicular cancer by birth cohort in the United States from 1973 to 1995. Journal of Urology 1999, 162(1): 361-363.
- GL Liberson, RJ Golden, WJ Blot, H Fisch, C Watson. An examination of the sensitivity of reported trends in childhood leukemia incidence rates to geographic location and diagnostic coding (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2000 May;11(5):413-7.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, R Golden. The possible effects of environmental estrogen disrupters on reproductive health. Curr Urol Rep. 2000 Dec;1(4):253-61.
- J Choi, KCooper, TW Hensle, H Fisch. Incidence and surgical repair rates of hypospadias in New York State. Urology 2001, 57(1):151-3.
- H Fisch, RJ Golden, GL Libersen, G Hyun, P Madsen, MI New, TW Hensle. Maternal age as a risk factor for hypospadias. Journal of Urology 2001, 165(3): 934-936.
- SR Lindheim, K Crumm, H Fisch, M.V. Sauer. Testicular sperm aspiration (TESA) and its application in oocyte donation. Archives of Andrology. 2001 May-June; 46(3):211-5.
- HM Nagler, M Rotman, E Zoltan, H Fisch. The natural history of partial ejaculatory duct obstruction. Journal of Urology 2002; 167(1):253-4.
- SN Stas, AG Anastasiadis, H Fisch, R Shabsigh. Urological aspects of andropause. Urology. 2003 Feb; 61(2): 261-6.
- H Fisch, HF Andrews, KS Fisch, R Golden, GL Liberson, CA Olsson. The relationship of long term temperature change and human fertility. Medical Hypotheses. 2003 Jul; 61(1): 21-8.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, R Golden, TW Hensle, CA Olsson, GL Liberson. The influence of paternal age on Down Syndrome. Journal Of Urology. 2003 Jun; 169(6): 2275-8.
- H Fisch, G Hyun, TW Hensle. Testicular growth and gonadotropin response associated with varicocele repair in adolescent males. British Journal of Urology . 2003 Jan; 91(1): 75-8.
- H Fisch, CW Johnson, J Bingham, AG Anastasiadis. A novel surgical approach to subinguinal varicocelectomy:testicular and lymphatic isolation technique. Urologia Internationalis. 2004 72(2):162-4.
- CW Johnson, JB Bingham, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. Transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts for treating ejaculatory symptoms. British Journal of Urology Int. 2005 Jan; 95(1):117-9.
- N Makhsida, J Shah, G Yan, H Fisch, R Shabsigh. Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: implications for testosterone Terapy. Journal of Urology. 2005 Sep 174(3): 827-34.
- A Shabsigh, Y Kang, R Shabsigh M Gonzalez, G Liberson, H Fisch, E Goluboff. Clomiphene Citrate Effects on Testosterone/Estrogen Ratio in Male Hypogonadism. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2005 Sep 2(5): 716-20.
- H Fisch, SM Lambert, ET Goluboff. Management of ejaculatory duct obstruction: etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. World J Urol. 2006 Dec 24(6):604-10.
- SM Lambert, P Masson, H Fisch. The male biological clock. World J Urol. 2006 Dec 24(6):611-7.
- BH Lewis, M Legato, H Fisch. Medical implications of the male biological clock. JAMA. 2006 Nov 15;296(19):2369-71.
- Fisch H, Lambert SM, Hensle TW, Hyun G. Hypospadias rates in New York State are not increasing. J Urol. 2009 May;181(5):2291-4.
- LI Lipshultz, H Fisch. Editorial comment. A Bickel, G Dickstein: Factors predicting the outcome of varicocele repair for subfertility: The value of the luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone test. J Urol 142:1230, 1989.
- P Barg and H Fisch Clinical evaluation of the semen analysis. Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Clinics of North America 1991, 2(2):331-340.
- H Fisch. The Surety of Surgical Repair of Varicoceles. Contemporary Urology 1991, 3(4)68-74.
- H Fisch. Transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts. Current Surgical Techniques in Urology, May, 1993.
- H Fisch. and N BarChama. Questions to ask during a male infertility evaluation. Contemporary Urology 1993, 5(8):11-18.
- H Fisch, ET Goluboff. Simplified one-layer microsurgical vasovasostomy. Current Surgical Techniques in Urology 1993, 6(6): 1-8.
- N BarChama, ET Goluboff, H Fisch. Infection and pyospermia in male infertility: Is it really a problem? Urologic Clinics of North America 1994, 21: 469-475.
- E Seaman, N BarChama, H Fisch. Semen analysis in the clinical evaluation of infertility. Mediguide to Urology 1994, 7(5): 1-8.
- LI Lipshultz, H Fisch, D.J. Lamb, R.B. Meacham, C.S. Neiderberger. Is semen quality declining?. Contemporary Urology 1996, 8(9): 50-62.
- ET Goluboff, H Fisch, T. Hensle. Semen analysis and transrectal ultrasound findings in men with bladder exstrophy. Proceedings of the First International Congress on Bladder Exstrophy, 1997.
- H Fisch. Evaluation and therapy of the patient with decreased sperm motility. AUA News -–September/October, 1997, 2(5): 9.
- TW Hensle, H Fisch. Wolffian Ducts. Encyclopedia of Reproduction 1998.
- TW Hensle, ET Goluboff, H Fisch: Semen analysis and transrectal ultrasound findings in men with bladder exstrophy. The Exstrophy-Epispadias Complex; J. Gearhart and G. Matthews, eds. Kluwer Academic, Plenum Publishers, New York, p. 193-7, 1999.
- D Weiner, J Saidi, H Fisch. Geographic variation in sperm counts in the United States. Middle East Journal of Andrology (supplement) April 1999.
- H Fisch, YM Kang, CW Johnson, ET Goluboff. Ejaculatory duct obstruction. Curr Opin Urol. 2002 Nov;12(6):509-15.
- H Fisch, S Braun. The Male Biological Clock. Simon & Schuster (Free Press). January 2005.
- J Shah, H Fisch. Managing the vasectomy patient: From preoperative counseling through postoperative follow-up. Contemporary Urology March 2006.
- P Schlegel, P Masson, S Lambert, H Fisch. Handbook Of Models For Human Aging: Chapter 51: Fertility and Aging Men. Academic Press, June 2006.
- S Lambert, H Fisch. Fertility and testis cancer. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2007 May;34(2):269-77.
- Sprenkle PC, Fisch H. Pathologic effects of testosterone deprivation. Curr Opin Urol. 2007 Nov;17(6):424-30.
- H Fisch. Declining worldwide sperm counts: disproving a myth. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2008 May;35(2):137-46
- H Fisch , K Baskin. Size Matters. Three Rivers Press, August 2008
- H Fisch, Older men are having children, but the reality of a male biological clock makes this trend worrisome. Geriatrics. 2009 Jan;64(1):14-7.